Financial Counselor – JOB #1664
Estes Park Health exists to make a positive difference to the health and well-being of all we serve. Located about 90 miles northwest of Denver, at 7,522 feet above sea level, Estes Park Health sits in the heart of the Rocky Mountains. As a gateway to Rocky Mountain National Park, the adventurous lifestyle Estes Park supplies open endless outdoor opportunities for our staff. We promote a healthy work-life balance to give our staff the time to enjoy the “playground” that is Colorado.
From pediatrics to geriatrics, Estes Park Health supplies a full spectrum of care for our friends, neighbors, and visitors in the entire Estes Park Valley and Rocky Mountain National Park. Today, over 18,000 patients—residents and visitors alike—see our health care teams for both outpatient and inpatient services.
Summary of Position:
: A health care financial counselor makes sure patients understand the costs associated with the health care services they need or have received. The financial counselor goes over billing and payment plan options including processing applications for state funded and hospital financial assistance programs. This position requires fundamental knowledge of hospital policies as well as the many different options that a patient may have for financial assistance. Additionally, this individual follows departmental productivity and quality control measures that support the organizations operational and mission goals.
Full Time, Mon-Fri, 8hr shifts
- Responds to patient inquiries via phone, mail or in person regarding patient balance due and/or statement questions.
- Meets with self-pay patients to discuss benefits and patient responsibility to secure payment arrangements.
- Determines patients’ ability to pay, secure payment arrangements with patient and serve as support to patients and their families to assure they have access to all available funding options.
- Reviews financial data to determine possible eligibility through state programs such as Medicaid and the Colorado Indigent Care Program (CICP). Assist with completion of applications.
- Initiates and complete financial assistance applications on accounts at risk.
- Determines patients’ liability under CICP and /or financial assistance, and post accurate adjustments accordingly.
- Serves as a primary contact for early-out companies and collection agencies. Review and process weekly reports including insurance updates, account reconciliation and uncollectable accounts.
- Makes recommendation on uncollectable accounts to direct supervisor / CFO.
- Reviews and process bankruptcy notifications.
- Demonstrates good communication and organizational skills with patients, co-workers, physicians, ancillary personnel and the community.
- Courteously answers telephone calls and promptly returns voice mail messages, routes calls and takes accurate messages as is appropriate.
- Participates in continuous quality improvement efforts on an ongoing basis, establishing goals with supervisor and tracking progress.
- Demonstrates initiative and resourcefulness by making recommendations and communicating trends and issues to supervisor.
- Participates in committees as assigned.
- Performs in accordance with all local, state, and federal laws and regulatory agency standards.
- Performs in accordance with organizational vision, mission and goals.
- All other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- High School diploma/GED.
- Two or more years of experience in hospital or physician billing, patient access or customer service in healthcare preferred.
- Appropriate certifications required within 6 months of hire date.
- Detail oriented. Excellent people and organizational skills a must.
- Computer literate in Windows and Microsoft Office suite.
- Knowledge of Meditech/Allscripts/Epic software would be beneficial.
$19.33-$26.29, depending on years of experience.
Perks of working with us!
- Paid Time Off – Personal and sick leave immediately available as accrued each pay period. Annual PTO accrual in your first year is 184 hours, equivalent to 23, 8 hour, days.
- Retirement plans catered to your needs – all employees (Full Time, Part Time, PRN) are enrolled into our Money Purchase Pension Plan, 401a, which is in lieu of social security contributions. We also offer a 457(b) plan to additional funds to your investments.
- Medical – Choose from a HSA or PPO medical plan with pre-tax spending accounts.
- Dental – An affordable all-inclusive services plan. No need to choose from 2 or 3 options.
- Vision – Just for you or your whole family.
- Medical Transport – Add MASA as a supplemental for both Air and Ground usable in all 50 states.
- Accident and Critical Illness – For those unexpected life issues that may happen. Cash payouts to you.
- Term Life and AD&D INS. – Free to full and part time employees.
- Voluntary Life Ins. – Additional coverage for you to purchase for yourself, spouse and or children.
- Short Term Disability – 2 levels to purchase for your needs.
- Long Term Disability – Free to you while employed.
- Employee Assistance Program – A comprehensive program for you and your family member which includes a national provider network for counseling services, life balance services, legal and financial services.
For more information about this opportunity call Human Resources at 970-577-4544 Monday-Friday 9am-4pm (MST) or e-mail questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Opportunity Employer: In compliance with federal law, including the provisions of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Section 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, EPH does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, color, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, or military service in its administration of policies, programs, activities or employment. In addition, EPH does not discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity.
The descriptions above are listed as is at the time of posting and could change as needed at any time in accordance with state, local and federal laws.